Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Special exposure Wednesday

I thought I'd post this picture, even though I've posted ones from that event before.
This is a picture that shows so much bravery in Parker.

Being so brave!

He is very afraid of noises. Farm animals noises are one of his scariest. Cows top that list. Not long ago he went with his class to a dairy. I didn't have a lot of hope that it would go well. Last year when we went with his class, he was so upset he could barely take it. We had to just get away from the cows. This year he still plugged his ears. But this year he also petted a cow and tolerated it without a lot of whining. He coped with it and actually had a good time. I was so proud of him. The funny thing that happened was that the farmers name was something else, but Parker insisted on calling him, "farmer Dell," you know, like the song, "Farmer in the dell". That guy is too funny. They also had ice cream and I told his teacher he wouldn't eat it. What did my boy do, he ate the whole thing! Way to go Parker! I'm so proud of you!

17 comments:

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

My daughter is extremely sensitive to noises too, and she does that exact same thing to plug her ears (uses the shoulder on one side and her finger for the other). My daughter is the worst with any type of yard equipment (mowers, weedwackers, edgers, blowers, etc...). I am not sure I have ever tried her around farm animals. Hmmmm...

Way to Go Parker for being so brave to pet the cow! Yayyyyy!

Anonymous said...

Great capture here.

Yay Parker! You know, I'm not sure I would have petted the cow. LOL at the ice cream story...so glad he didn't miss the treat. :)

Love having you join Special Exposure. Can't wait to see more.
(Melody from 5MFSN)

Kari said...

My son is noise sensitive too and plugs his ears just like that too.
Great photo. Brave boy!! WTG!

Jenny said...

How awesome to see such progress! Thanks for sharing!

Maddy said...

Aha! There you are. Well done indeed, definitely a bravery award.
Best wishes

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

What a wonderful moment you've captured, and such bravery you've shown. Yay Parker!!

gail said...

oh those big scary cows! way to go parker!!! me, i'm not to fond of getting near spiders and snakes!

my son doesn't have noise issues, but he has smell issues. we can't go into a smelly barn or he starts gagging and throwing up! looking forward to getting to know you and parker more.

Bobbi said...

Thanks for all the nice comments! It's so nice to meet new people! It's also nice to meet people who understand what you are going through! I'll have to check out all your sites.

Trish said...

I can't see any text on your post, just a white background, but the photo is great. It's always exciting when your kids will try new things!

Bobbi said...

Trish, it takes a moment for the page to load. It does that too me too. I must have too much on there.

Betsy Brock said...

He was very brave! But still had to plug his ears...even with his shoulders. I've seen that here with my boys. Have you considered a sound reduction headset? Then his hands would be free!

Bobbi said...

Betsy, I'm looking into getting them now.

Tricia said...

Awesome Job Parker. Great Picture.
http://littlehandbigheart.com

Anonymous said...

Awesome photo! My daughter makes that same gesture when approaching something she's a bit afraid of. The noise doesn't bother her, but she has a love/hate relationship with animals...fascinated by them but scared of them too. She'll sometimes work up her nerve and do a "pat" and run.

Great job Parker, you are brave!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this picture of Parker! And way to go, petting the cow!!

Mom without a manual said...

That is funny because we had that same exact posture today...as the doctor's office was trying to take an x-ray of our adenoids. My son was fixated on covering the ears because he expected a loud noise from the machine.

Farm animals...not sure we'd be that brave!

Bobbi said...

Mom without a manual, thanks for commenting. Do you have a blog too? I'd love to check it out.