Friday, March 6, 2009

I'm trying a new form of disapline with Molly


I'll let you know how it works out. My therapist (No, I'm only half crazy) recommended a book and a way of teaching kids by making them more responsible for their own actions. Some of the things I may have to say will be hard to do with a straight face. I just don't want these pre-teen/teenage years to get way worse. I'm just trying this, if it doesn't work I'm going to find a different way. My sweet angel of a daughter has been a little more mouthy and a little fiesty-er lately, and we need to work on it.

One of the main aspects of this new thing I'm trying is to stay calm while they are freaking out or throwing a fit. This may sound easy, but it's not. It's something I need to work on anyways.

Anyways, here's hoping it's successful!

2 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

I think this is a very good thing to do. I've found that if you raise your voice or get freaked out with them, it just causes the whole situation to escalate. If you remain calm, kind and in control, it always turns out better. And not only that, you are showing them by example how to act. :) Good luck! Ah, the teen years!

Amber DBTD said...

Interesting, everyone I know or read about is on a new discipline kick with their kids- myself included. Must be in the air, huh?

Sounds like an interesting method, I'd be curious what things you'll have to say that would make it hard to keep a straight face.