Thursday, March 19, 2009

Go fly a kite.....

That's what Parker and I did after school. I got 2 for the price of one at the dollar store. We took them to the park to see if Parker liked flying kites. The first one I didn't tie right so it mostly went round and round. Parker actually had the most fun with that one. We ended up leaving and going to another park because of the lawnmowers. We took out the other kite and this time I put it together right. It flew really high but sadly I was the only one interested. Then that park got out it's lawnmowers. Poor guy, couldn't catch a break. He didn't like them, but could tolerate them. Before he would have ran crying, this time he just plugged his ears and even smiled at it a little. He's really making progress but he still doesn't like them.

Yesterday I wrote down some questions to ask Parker's teacher, to see how he was doing. She said he is doing pretty well. She did say that she is pretty sure he will need a one on one aid and that he may need to repeat a grade eventually. She said he is definitely a young kindergartner and has a lot of motor skills issues. She said she is still watching him, since it's only been 3 weeks, but she thinks he would really benefit from that class next year also. (The special day class) She said she thinks he would get lost in a regular kindergarten, also without an aid. He's kind of a go with the flow kind of kid but doesn't do much on his own. I am really happy about this because I think he does need a lot of help. I'm glad they are not rushing him onto anything he is not ready for next year. (Or so it seems right now) What a relief that she is on the same page I am on.

4 comments:

Trish said...

Kites are a great idea; I should try that out with my son once he is feeling better!

It sounds like Parker has a really good teacher - it's so nice to have people who care on your team.

Holly said...

Wow, two lawnmowers... I remember Meghan running up to a moving lawn mower and I was chasing her (nothing new) and frantic because I knew what she was going to do-- jump on the back of one to go for a ride. Yikes.. it was an out of body experience..to say the least... I just remembered that!

Anyway, it's good that you are not rushing your son and are in agreement with the school--this is good!

Ronda said...

Oh that makes me so happy, see I told you that it would work out once he got a new teacher. Thats what having faith in God does. He always fixes things for you. :) Parker is so sweet, I just love that little guy.

Betsy Brock said...

Glad the teacher has some good thoughts for Parker! The kites sound so fun!