Thursday, March 5, 2009

Autism, layoffs and good news!

It seems like autism has been in my life everywhere lately. I've met more parents of kids with autism, been to autism support groups and have thought it about it a lot lately. The autism support group is such a good thing for me. It helps me feel like I'm not alone, we share ideas, and it makes me feel like I'm a part of something that can make a difference in our lives. If anyone out there has just gotten a diagnosis of autism for their child, support groups are such a great thing. I also go to a parents of children with special needs support group through my church. That is great also. All the kids have different needs but we all struggle with similar issues. I leave there feeling happy and refreshed. I feel so blessed to have those supports.

As far as Bobby getting laid off, it is going to happen. It will either happen Friday or Monday, depending on what day they run out of logs. I'm not worried. I'm actually happy to have him home with me. He will be working his side job but not as much. I love spending time with him while the kids are at school.

The good news is that Parker is doing so well in his class. I peeked in the window and could see him sitting at his table like a big boy, smiling away. He even tried some spinach/strawberry/sunflower seed salad at school and said he liked it. I was really proud of him. They said they are amazed at how well he fits in, how the other kids like him and how well he talks and behaves. They said the other kids like him and want to take care of him like he is the baby of the class, which he is. That is so great. It made me really happy and relieved to hear that.

2 comments:

kristi said...

Sounds like Parker is doing great!!

Anonymous said...

You sound well! I am happy to hear that and to catch up with you over here. :)