Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Do you tell them?

We are planning on moving in June. We are looking for a place right now. Do you tell perspective landlords that your child has autism? Would that turn them off? We have a place we like, but they have a maintenance person who mows the lawn. Parker is deathly afraid of lawnmowers. I would like to know when this person is going to mow so I can get Parker out of the house. How do I ask these perspective landlords without throwing them off by saying Parker has autism. People that don't know about autism can be afraid of it, or I mean a person with autism. I'd feel like I had to sell Parker to them. I'm not sure what to do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! That's tough! I totally understand how you feel, but hopefully they won't discriminate because your son has autism. If he's destructive to the property, that could be a problem if you're renting, but if the biggest issue is the mowing, I think you could just explain about autism and sensory integration (auditory sensitivity) and ask that they let you know when they're going to mow? I hope it's no big deal. GOOD LUCK!

kristi said...

I wouldn't tell them. I would just ask them when the mowing will happen so you can make arrangements to take your kids to the park. No need to explain.

Betsy Brock said...

Well, I won't try to be a tie-breaker here....that's a tough question! Whatever you decide I hope it works out just fine! Hope the move goes smoothly...especially for Parker. Will the new place be hard for him to get used to?

mommy~dearest said...

In my opinion, there's no reason to tell them any more than there's a reason to tell them you have an extra toe or one arm. As far as the lawnmower-guy, many kids are afraid of lawnmowers (and other loud sounds), so I don't think it's weird to ask for notification on when the lawn is cut.

On the other hand, don't feel like you have to hide anything either. It's just none of their business is all.

Casdok said...

Do what feels right for you. People react in so many different ways its hard to second guess.
Good luck!